School Improvement Priorities 2023 - 24
Improve Oracy and classroom talk
- Have an ambitious vision for oracy which ensures that teachers set high expectations for oracy in their classrooms.
- Build a culture of oracy which ensures that teachers value every voice.
- Have a sustained and wide-ranging curriculum for oracy in which oracy is explicitly taught
- Recognise that oracy is central to learning and elevates learning
- Teachers are able to appraise progress in oracy.
Improve assessment of foundation subjects
- Establish systems and procedures for summative and formative assessment including whole class assessment templates, formative/summative outcomes from cumulative quizzing, explanative assessment tasks, structured assessment tasks
- Establish Pupil Book Study with all subject leaders to help quality assure the curriculum
To embed an ethic of excellence across the curriculum
- Create a culture of excellence at Barrowford St Thomas
- Improve children’s work through producing multiple drafts, linked to critique
- Give the children more opportunities to make their work public
- Improve presentation of work, including handwriting
CHURCH SCHOOL PRIORITY
Ensure that our school’s distinctive Christian vision is established enabling pupils and adults to flourish.
- Improve the teaching of religious education in school through the introduction of the revised Blackburn Diocesan scheme of work.
- There are increased opportunities for our pupils to become courageous advocates.
- Prayer spaces are developed and used around school.
- Our children are enabled to reflect on different themes of collective worship and are involved in planning/delivering/evaluating worship