We aim to inspire in our pupils a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. We wish to equip our pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places – both terrestrial and marine – including their defining physical and human characteristics and how these provide a geographical context for understanding the actions of processes
- understand the processes that give rise to key physical and human geographical features of the world, how these are interdependent and how they bring about spatial variation and change over time
- are competent in the geographical skills needed to:
- collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data gathered through experiences of fieldwork that deepen their understanding of geographical processes
- interpret a range of sources of geographical information, including maps, diagrams, globes, aerial photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- communicate geographical information in a variety of ways, including through maps, numerical and quantitative skills and writing at length.
In KS1 our pupils will develop their knowledge about the world, the UK and immediate locality. They will be taught vocabulary relating to human and physical geography and begin to use geographical skills, including first-hand observation, to enhance their locational awareness.
In KS2 our pupils will extend their knowledge and understanding beyond the local area to include the UK and Europe, North and South America. This will include the location and characteristics of a range of the world’s most significant human and physical features.
The Geography Subject Leader is Mrs Lesley Lahey
Medium Term Plans
Years 1 and 2 Cycle A
Years 1 and 2 Cycle B
Years 3 and 4 Cycle A
Years 3 and 4 Cycle B
Years 5 and 6 Cycle A
Years 5 and 6 Cycle B